Lithium Orotate Benefits, Dosage, & Side Effects
Lithium orotate is a natural mineral supplement that has been used for centuries to help support the nervous system, but in recent years it’s become popular as an over-the-counter remedy for depression. Here are some of the side effects and benefits associated with this medication.
Lithium orotate is a medication that can be used to treat bipolar disorder and has been shown to have benefits for anxiety. The dosage of lithium orotate depends on the individual, but it is typically taken as a pill or in liquid form.
Lithium orotate, like zinc or selenium, is a dietary supplement type of lithium that is taken in micro dosages. When most people hear the word “lithium,” they immediately think of the bipolar disorder medicine. This is a distinct type of lithium called lithium carbonate that is only accessible through prescription. It’s utilized at significantly greater levels, up to 1000 mg per day, compared to 10-20 mg per day for lithium orotate.
The prescription lithium is quite powerful, and it comes with a long list of hazards and side effects, including tremor, acne, fatigue, and, most importantly, the possibility of affecting thyroid and kidney function.
Lithium orotate, like many other nutritional supplements, is non-prescription and accessible over-the-counter. Even the FDA considers it safe, and we haven’t had any difficulties using it at the authorized levels.
Lithium is a mineral with absolutely unique features in terms of how it affects mood and how it acts in the brain. Almost all prescription psychiatric medicines act on neurotransmitters, either by interacting with receptors on the cell membrane or by raising the quantity of a specific brain chemical such as serotonin or dopamine. Lithium has the ability to penetrate brain cells (neuron), changing the inner workings of the cell in ways that may significantly improve mood. Lithium orotate, even in micro dosages, may assist to quiet brain activity, generate a happy mood, support emotional wellbeing and the brain’s natural detoxification process, give antioxidant support, and improve the natural balance of brain neurotransmitters.
Lithium Orotate’s Advantages
- Encourages an optimistic mindset.
- Supports brain detoxification enzymes.
- Neurotransmitter activity is increased.
Deficiency in lithium
Deficiency in lithium in certain insulin-sensitive tissues may be associated with blood sugar imbalance. Low levels have been found in children with developmental delay, and individuals with attention deficit, nervousness, lack of focus, or lack of sleep.
Lithium for Mood and Neurotransmitter Support
When there is a definite hereditary component to one’s mood disorders, lithium orotate may be most beneficial. That indicates that someone with a strong family history of mood disorders, or someone whose personal issues started early in life, may benefit the most, particularly if the illness recurs despite the absence of evident causes (i.e., stress).
When a person’s mood is unstable, such as when they have a lot of irritation, agitation, or mood swings, lithium orotate may be explored. Also in patients who have previously benefited from drugs but have seen their effectiveness wane with time. It seems to be a useful supplement to drugs, frequently restoring their effectiveness after they’ve “pooped out.”
So, how does it boost your mood? Lithium is considered to assist control the neurotransmitter glutamate by maintaining a constant, healthy level of glutamate between brain cells to promote healthy brain function. In animals, the mineral has been found to be neuroprotective and to prevent neuronal cell death due to free radical stress. Lithium lowers neurological impairments at therapeutic dosages. [3,4] Lithium was also discovered to stimulate greater cytoprotective B-cell activity in animal models.  Lithium, in a long-term low-dose support, has also been shown to promote healthy brain aging. 
Support for Brain Detoxification with Lithium
Lithium has also been demonstrated to aid the brain’s natural detoxifying mechanism in studies. It has showed promise in protecting the brain from free radical damage and as a neuroprotective agent against Aluminum-induced oxidative stress.  Lithium boosted intracellular glutathione levels and decreased oxygen metabolite damage in animal models, indicating that it protects against free radical stress by boosting glutathione-dependent enzymes. 
Dosage of Lithium Orotate
Adults often start with 10 mg per day for the first week or two, then increase to 20 mg per day if required and tolerated. At these low dosages, side effects are rare, however it can sometimes induce minor drowsiness. If this is the case, the whole dosage is usually moved to night.
Children and teenagers with ADHD, Autism, DMDD, or depression who exhibit emotionally reactive, hostile, or violent behaviors may benefit from lithium orotate. It’s normal to start with a 2.5-5 mg dosage in liquid or tablet form for 1-2 weeks, then gradually increase the amount until target symptoms improve, up to a maximum dose of roughly 20 mg daily.
Side Effects of Lithium Orotate
Lithium orotate is regarded to be a safe, low-cost, and often unexpected useful supplement to existing treatments, whether medicines or natural therapies.
The Natural Mental Health Store offers natural lithium supplements.
The lithium salt of orotic acid, which is often used to boost mood, is included in Steady Mood. For a broad variety of regimens, this Lithium Orotate formulation contains 10 mg of the trace mineral per capsule.
*Note: While some of the supplements mentioned in this article may produce adverse effects, many individuals find that they handle them better than prescription drugs. They are usually regarded safe, but they should not be begun without first seeing your doctor. If you’re currently on medicine, consult your doctor before adding any of these supplements. If you’re thinking about stopping your medication, talk to your doctor about how to properly taper off any mental drug. See the conditions.
**The Food and Drug Administration has not reviewed these assertions. This item is not meant to be used to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any illness.
Anxiety Supplements with L-Theanine
L-theanine has been discovered to alter brainwaves as measured by EEG, encouraging the calm and alert state associated with alpha brain waves. 11* This makes it unique in that it may both increase mental concentration and reduce anxiety.
* See the article for the source.
- M. Basselin, H.W. Kim, M. Chen, K. Ma, S.I. Rapoport, R.C. Murphy, and S.E. Farias. In a rat lipopolysaccharide model of neuroinflammation, lithium alters brain arachidonic and docosahexaenoic metabolism. 2010 May;51(5):1049-56 in J Lipid Res. Epub 2009 Dec 29.
- Hu M, Wu YS, Wu HW. Effects of Deficiency in lithium in some insulin-sensitive tissues of diabetic Chinese hamsters. Biol Trace Elem Res. 1997 Jul-Aug;58(1-2):91-102.
- DM Chuang. Lithium’s neuroprotective and neurotrophic properties: might it be utilized to treat neurodegenerative diseases? Crit Rev Neurobiol 16(1-2):83-90, 2004.
- DM Chuang, Z Wang, CT Chiu. In Neuronal Cultures and Animal Models of Ischemic Stroke, GSK-3 as a Target for Lithium-Induced Neuroprotection Against Excitotoxicity. 2011 Aug 9;4:15 in Front Mol Neurosci. 2011 eCollection
- G. Chen, G. Rajkowska, F. Du, N. Seraji-Bozorgzad, and H. K. Manji. Lithium stimulates hippocampus neurogenesis. 2000 Oct;75(4):1729-34 in J Neurochem.
- K. Zarse, T. Terao, J. Tian, N. Iwata, N. Ishii, and M. Ristow. In humans and metazoans, low-dose lithium absorption improves lifespan. Eur J Nutr. 50(5):387-9, August 2011. Epub 2011 Feb 8.
- P. Bhalla and D. K. Dhawan. Lithium has a protective effect in the rat brain when it comes to oxidative stress and histological alterations caused by aluminum. 29(4):513-21 in Cell Mol Neurobiol, 2009. Epub 2009 Jan 29.
- L Shao, J Cui, LT Young, and JF Wang. The impact of the mood stabilizer lithium on glutathione s-transferase isoenzyme expression and activity. Neuroscience 151(2):518-24, January 24, 2008. Epub 2007 Nov 13.
Lithium orotate is a medication that helps with bipolar disorder. It has been found to be effective in treating mood disorders, but it can also have side effects. Lithium orotate dosage for bipolar is the amount of lithium that is recommended by doctors. Reference: lithium orotate dosage for bipolar.
- lithium orotate dosage for sleep
- lithium orotate changed my life
- lithium orotate dosage reddit
- how long does it take for lithium orotate to work
- lithium orotate reviews